Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Urge to Blog

I'm not sure why, but I woke up this morning feeling the urge to set up a blog. All day I felt compelled to write, but didn't want to write a magazine article or an academic paper or entries for a travel guide. I was inspired by a few lovely friends (and family), who have lovely blogs containing the most lovely pictures of art and scenery and food, to share in a more intimate and introspective way than we do on Facebook or our professional websites.

Voila! The name 'All Things Lovely' popped into my head. As unoriginal sounding as it may be, the title sums up my take on life. I've always been a day-dreamy sort of girl, which might explain the endless fascination with medieval history and art and architecture-- and the occassional need for my lovely husband to lovingly yank my dreamy head out of the clouds.

As I type this post, I am also IMing with my sister Mandy Jones, who unknowingly forced me to think about the objective of this page. It's not like I need more writing projects on my plate. Mandy asked if my blog is going to be a "day in the life of Mrs. Foix," which it is not. My life isn't exciting enough to necessiate a daily update, nor is it drama-ridden enough to require venting via a therapeutic blog-- although, I do think her suggestion would be a fun name for a post-best-selling-novel blog about living in the south of France; ramblings about visiting market or drives down the coast to St. Tropez. (Kevin, I think I need that yank!)

With that said, All Things Lovely is intended to be a little memoir-ish, touching on travel, food, art and general thoughts on cultural things. I'm exciteable, so there will no doubt be frenzied posts about random new (new to me) "discoveries," which I find happens almost weekly these days. But most importantly, I just want readers to leave this page feeling positive and happy and lovely.

This is my very first post, so I'm really just testing the blogging waters.

I promise it will get better.



No comments:

Post a Comment